The Level 2 Diploma covers all of the light
vehicle service aspects, focusing on efficient
replacement of key components to industry
standard of competency.
This course provides learners with the opportunity to study both the theory and practical aspects of the following:
- Inspect, repair and replace high performance light vehicle tyres
- Carry out light vehicle front wheel alignment
- Inspect and replace light vehicle exhaust system components
- Inspect, test and replace vehicle batteries and charging components
- Inspect and replace light vehicle suspension springs and dampers
- Inspect, adjust and replace light vehicle braking systems and components
- Inspect remove and replace engine components
- Carrying out routine vehicle service and repair.
- Learners also gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety in the workplace, agreeing customer vehicle needs and other skills associated with working in a garage.
English and Maths are part of the core programme of study. Students who have not achieved a A-C / 9-4 grade in English and Maths will be required to study the appropriate level as part of their main qualification. More information
After 1 year of study and completing level 2 you can apply for Level 3 or you can seek employment in the industry in a commercial garage and continue your education towards a level 3 qualification through our day release apprenticeship programme.
What Past Students Say
‘Level 2 has given me much more experience, building on, and extending the work which I completed on the Level 1 course. I now feel much more confident about working on a whole variety of tasks on a range of vehicles and engines. I am now used to working independently but know that I can always ask for help from the tutor if I need to. This has prepared me well for the world of work in the automotive industry. The theory sessions have helped me because they support the practical sessions really well. I have learned how and why different components work. It has been a really useful course.’
‘Having gone straight into Level 2 from another Northbrook College Engineering course, I felt well supported by the tutor who ensured that he gave me plenty of time to explain things clearly and demonstrated what he wanted me to do. That meant that I have achieved so much in a short space of time. I have enjoyed all of the practical work because I enjoy using my hands. The write-ups of tasks make sure that I have understood what I have been doing in the workshop. I now have a much better idea of what it would be like to work in a garage.’