Full time home students aged 16-18 do not have to pay fees on condition they are still under 19 on 31st August in the year their course starts.
(however, some costs for activities/uniform/trips and specialist equipment & materials may be applicable. Any costs associated with individual courses will be detailed at interview.)


There is a range of financial help available - depending on your personal circumstances - to support you with your studies at Northbrook .
In order to qualify for funding you must be aged between 16 and 18 (inclusive) and be attending a full time Further Education course (Government Funded course/Certificate, Foundation Studies, C&G, BTEC Diploma, UAL Diploma etc).

Travel Assistance

There are various travel schemes available which you may be eligible for:

  • Stagecoach Bus discounts - See www.stagecoachbus.com/south
  • Brighton & Hove bus discounts - See www.buses.co.uk/tickets/busid.aspx
  • Young Persons Railcard - If you are aged 16-25 this card will give you one third off your fare if you use it after 10am (or before if the ticket costs more than £12). You will get 10% discount by purchasing the railcard online. Contact your local station for more details
  • Unizone rail ticket - Depending on where you live and which campus you are travelling to, it may be cheaper for you to travel by train using a Unizone ticket. Please contact your local station or click here for more details.
  • Sussex Student Card - Students of all ages attending a Further Education course can apply for a Sussex Student Card which offers discounted train travel in some areas. Click here to download an application form.
  • Travel Grant for students with special needs - contact your Local Education Authority


  • Under 19 Bursary Scheme
  • The bursary scheme is made up of two parts:
  • Guaranteed Bursary -If you are in care, a care leaver, in receipt of Income Support (or Universal Credit) - or if you are a disabled young person in receipt of both Employment Support Allowance (or Universal Credit) and Disability Living Allowance (or Personal Independence Payment), you can apply for a guaranteed bursary of £1,200 (to be paid in instalments).
  • Discretionary Bursary - If you do not qualify for the guaranteed bursary but have a household income under £26,000*, you may be able to apply for some funds to support things like travel, materials/ equipment or other course related costs.
  • Help with Rent   - If your household income is below £25,000* and the course you wish to attend is not available locally and you have to move, this scheme can help toward rent costs.


Download the form to print, complete and return to Northbrook Student Financial Services office (West Durrington campus):

Click here to download the Under 19 Bursary application form

If you would like a form posted to you, please contact the Student Financial Services office (contact details below).


Under 19 Bursary Scheme help notes

This is available to students who have a household income under £26,000. It is for help with compulsory course related costs providing you are attending a Government funded course. Please complete and return the application form along with the requested documents.

Please note that funds are limited, therefore funding may not be guaranteed and will be dealt on a first come first served basis.


Bursary Fund guidelines for 16-18 year olds
16-19 Bursary A Guide for young people and parents
Prioritisation for Support Funds
Criteria for Support Funds

Free School Meals

Free meals are available to students being in receipt of, or having parents who are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
-The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- During the initial roll out of the benefit, Universal Credit


If you don't receive any of the above benefits but fall into one of the categories below you may also be eligible:
- In Care
- Care Leaver
- Young Carer

To apply, please click here


If you are under 20 when you start learning and use registered childcare, you may be able to get assistance with childcare costs. Go to www.gov.uk/care-to-learn to apply.

Northbrook Student Financial Support Team

We're here to help
For more information on what financial support is available, please contact a member of the Student Financial Services team direct on 01903 273014 or email sfs@nbcol.ac.uk

We also offer a drop-in service at The University Centre Worthing - normal office opening hours are 12.00pm-2.00pm Monday to Thursday.

*Correct for 2017-18. Subject to change.