Apprenticeships are designed to meet your needs as an employer through vocational training. It is a combination of on-the-job training and qualifications that are current and relevant to your industry.
The government will help you to pay for an apprentice. The amount you get depends on whether you pay the apprenticeship levy or not.
Apprenticeships are funded through one of two routes – via the apprenticeship levy or via co-investment.
All UK employers with a wage-roll bill exceeding £3m will have 0.5% of their total wage-roll automatically deducted on a monthly basis to fund new apprenticeships. The government will contribute an allowance of £15,000 to offset against their levy payment.
Employers in all sectors will be affected. In England, control of apprenticeship funding will be put in the hands of employers through the Digital Apprenticeship Service.
If your business is not required to pay the Apprenticeship Levy, you’ll pay 5% towards the cost of the apprenticeship. The government will pay the remaining 95%, up to the funding band maximum. You may be eligible to receive full funding to cover the cost of apprenticeship training – and additional support.
Additional support for small employers
If you employ fewer than 50 people, you will not have to pay the 5% contribution for an apprentice who is:
- Age 16-18
- Age 19-24 and has previously been in care, or has an EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan) provided by their local authority
The government will pay 100% of the training costs for these individuals, up to the funding band maximum.
Apprenticeship funding can be confusing. Our Specialist Skills Advisors (SSAs) are here to offer clarity, guidance and advice on funding and all aspects of employing an apprentice. To contact one of our SSAs for a chat please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The first step is to complete a vacancy template. On receipt, our apprenticeship enrolment team will advertise your job on Brighton MET and Northbrook College, and other local and national websites. Your dedicated enrolment adviser will handle all aspects of the recruitment process, including interviews and initial assessments. You will be sent applicants’ CVs and, if suitable, our team will arrange their interviews with you at a mutually convenient time.
Northbrook College has a history of delivering excellent apprenticeships and being able to adapt to meet the evolving needs of employers.
If you are looking to employ an apprentice please contact our apprenticeship team to discuss your requirements and review what apprenticeship programs we run that match employment needs.
Contact us: If you have any questions about employing an apprentice, please email email@example.com
HAVING AN APPRENTICE IN YOUR ORGANISATION WILL:
Reduce training costs
Reduce recruitment costs
Fill skills gaps, including specialist skills specific to your industry
Motivate staff and reduce staff turnover